Thursday, August 18, 2011

Oh Virgo!

My first challenge I gave myself was the daunting task of the dreaded PANTRY!  Uhg!!!  Living in rentals, space is always  an issue.  With our small pantry and growing family.....space is limited.  As the days, weeks, and months go by the crap in the pantry is stacking up.  My first instinct is to close it shut and ignore it.  My second and very intense instinct was the need to ORGANIZE.

I was born in September, so I am your typical VIRGO.  Yes, we have a bad reputation for being a Perfectionist.  But, it can work  in our favor.  We get these urges to organize and obsess over details.  So, let's use that for good not evil.

Now with my tight budget, this is what I came up with for my pantry makeover.  I am not totally satisfied and probably go to the dollar store for more glass jars.   (Another trait of a Virgo... super duper critical....and yes we want to be perfected).

BEFORE...................





AFTER..............






I used glass jars to store cookies, pasta, cereal, trail mix, nuts, flours, dried fruit, and gosh knows what else.  I took my hanging shoe rack  and hung it from the inside of the door.  It holds can goods, tea, cooking oils, and this/that.  The plastic bins hold snacks, baking supplies, and vitamins.   I organized each shelf by a category and the floor of the pantry has my Kitchen Aid, a file box (it holds wax paper, baggies, aluminum foil), and a recycle bag (contains grocery bags). 




You wouldn't believe how much stuff I threw out!  I think a few more storage bins and I should be satisfied.  Oh Virgo! 



3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I love the shoe organizer idea! I may have to steal that when I have a pantry. I don't have one and it sucks so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! If we had a pantry, I would want to do something like that. Unfortunately there is very little cabinet space period, so always after getting groceries I have to reorganize all of the canned/dry food items. No way around it. That and the kids getting their hands in everything on a daily basis..well you got the picture.

    ReplyDelete